Xavier had his first day at a new play group/school today. It kind of snuck up on me. We have been on a waiting list to get in this group for a couple of months now. I was expecting more like a mommy and me play group but really its very similar to school. The kids have a cubby, they have a teacher. They have play time, snack time, art and gym. Sometimes they will go on class trips. Its a lot like school. Xavier likes it. He was a little shy but he didn't want to leave. Although the class is all boys it still a diverse class. I think Xavier will enjoy it and have experience getting along children from different backgrounds.
Xavier's been doing pretty good. He is really starting to bloom. He surprises us often with his understanding. He can count and he can sing his ABC's when he feels like it. He has known his colors for months now. He recognizes some of his letters and numbers; although it is not something we have been focusing on because it is early. A few weeks ago he told me and someone else that a fence was shaped like a diamond. We expected him to say square or nothing at all; but he said diamond. He was correct. The fence did look more like a diamond than a square. The other day we were working on speech sounds with Mary. We were working on W and talked about things with wheels. Xavier told Mary he wanted a car to stop and he spelled stop-qrstuvwxyz; randomly. We were both flabberghasted. We just couldn't believe we were hearing a two year old spell. Mary asked me if I taught him how to spell and I can't take any credit. I never taught him how to spell. It was all Xavier. But I guess he recognizes some letters and there is a stop sign in front of the house. The other day we were playing with toy sheep and one of the sheep looked very different from the others. It was a different shape. I told Xavier it looked different from the others and he said, "yes, but it's still a sheep." He's growing up so fast and he surprises us so often.


